I was tied to a stake, in the middle of town square, surrounded by tinder. My belly full of fire, my lungs filled with smoke, and lips coated with soot; the ash clung to the inside of my mouth.
I wanted to call out to you, but I had already forgotten your true name; the only one that you’d ever responded to. Even if I had been able to catch your attention… Would you really have granted me clemency? Was it foolish of me to hope so?
I tried to remember, how I ended up bound to the pyre. But oxygen was sparse, and my memory spread thin. I couldn’t recall if I was a sacrifice, or a martyr. I couldn’t tell if I was the one who had been set ablaze, or if the fire had originated from the smoldering bodies… laid out at my feet.
The flames licked at my face, and singed my hair. The stink of burnt assaulted my nostrils. I choked on the noxious fumes. Maybe the smoke was just a physical manifestation of my own desire; a suffocating apparition of regret; a vengeful monster, birthed of my own sins. My eyes stung, waiting for tears that would never fall, because they evaporated without a drop of succor left to spare.
I burned slowly, without epiphany, or confession. Without knowledge of my motivations, deeds, or crimes. I was as ignorant as a new born babe, save for one luminous detail…
I knew that I had loved you… and that was enough to endure the blaze, ‘till the end.
Did you weep, or smile, when the wind blew away my ashes?
- daydreamsonlooseleafpaper likes this
- cordx likes this
- alfaazkibarsaat likes this
- aknew likes this
- adoenamedjane likes this
- eartheyed likes this
- kristaa0788 likes this
- romilatravelstheworld likes this
- andreitrostel likes this
- poetryslutsunited likes this
- thestrangerinyourdreams likes this
- midnightvalkyrie likes this
- lonestardown likes this
- moaningatmidnight likes this
- roggyscanvas likes this
- enigmaticidentity likes this
- mikefrawley likes this
- forgetlings likes this
- zubbles likes this
- banskideas likes this
- dareenandreu likes this
- whispered-dreams-decayed likes this
- aquietjoy likes this
- archonofdarkness likes this
- kimberlys-ghost likes this
- neverthegreyer likes this
- theinktree likes this
- nickthejam likes this
- bellumletale likes this
- snhamlett reblogged this from ordinarywonder and added:
- xyllocorp likes this
- strawberryminefield likes this
- thebatterwitchscake reblogged this from ordinarywonder
- This was featured in #Prose
- supersatellite likes this
- theinvictus reblogged this from ordinarywonder
- deliciousinterludes likes this
- loqui said: *cough cough* ‘lungs’, 2nd sentence ;) This piece is really beautiful, Noelle. Really strong imagery.. I can smell it!
- crumpledwhitesheets likes this
- loqui likes this
- mattsjustaroundthecorner likes this
- thewritersaddress said: Urgh. I love it.
- thewritersaddress likes this
- shadowwalkingfool likes this
- emaciatedbeauty answered: smile. the body is nothing but a shell. what we love. our ideas. our energies. our passions..live not inside a body but are immortal.
- shermeanuhh said: <3
- shermeanuhh likes this
- callsign-starbuck likes this
- everything19 likes this
- blankslate likes this