There once was this girl who visited the aquarium every day. She worked 3rd shift so that she could spend her days with the aquatic creatures that she had so fervently come to admire and love. Her favorite, of all the animals that lived at the aquarium, being the Sea Otters.
She would just spend hours watching them play and swim. How lovely, she thought, to be so innocent and carefree. On this particular day, one of the otters swam closer to the glass. This otter had been watching the girl for some time, since the first day it had noticed her watching. How wonderful, the otter mused, to be so alone and free.
They peered at eachother, intensely, through the glass barrier; the girl who longed to be an otter and the otter who wished to be a girl. How they envied one another. The girl craving peaceful simplicity. The otter desiring independent freedom. Both of these curious beings wanting, with all of their being, to switch places.
The mutual feeling of need, to be the other, was so sincere and intense that they were both granted their wish.
The otter, who had once been a girl, surging with a new sense of lightness and joy looked back at the girl on the other side of the glass, but couldn’t remember what had interested it to swim over to her in the first place. It dove under the water to wrestle with one of the other otters.
The girl, who had once been an otter, filled with a heavy sensation of neurotic emotion and a lonely sort of ache inside… knew instantly that she had been given a raw deal. Her heart sunk as the otter swam away. Instinctually knowing that what was done couldn’t be undone.
There once was this girl who visited the zoo every day…
- cubelios likes this
- petit-ouji reblogged this from ordinarywonder
- clever-pseudonym likes this
- aubreygallano likes this
- thisdeludedwanderlust likes this
- daydreamsonlooseleafpaper likes this
- wistly likes this
- andreitrostel likes this
- savageleewriting likes this
- petit-ouji likes this
- colour-me-in-sc likes this
- johnnypitt likes this
- scarlettwritten likes this
- girlvswhale likes this
- bluebell-the-rabbit said: At first I was like “Aww” but that ending… ah! My emotions! (this is a good thing, if I’m not making any sense)
- bluebell-the-rabbit likes this
- elshynez-ernok likes this
- moaningatmidnight likes this
- twohousesoftheholy likes this
- roggyscanvas likes this
- abstract-conscience likes this
- eternallycoilingserpent likes this
- brittanyloggins likes this
- This was featured in #Prose
- dangatorium likes this
- theincomplete likes this
- steeped-in-ink likes this
- fortune-n-glory likes this
- cafeofthedamned likes this
- kimberlys-ghost likes this
- intergalacticdestination likes this
- psychaote likes this
- writerbloc reblogged this from ordinarywonder and added:
- adoenamedjane likes this
- six-little-milkteeth said: i’ve always wanted to be an otter. and every time we go to the zoo, the river otters are my favorite.
- six-little-milkteeth likes this
- projectparis likes this
- blankslate likes this
- supersatellite likes this
- forgetlings likes this
- cheshirecatgrins likes this
- aquietjoy likes this
- victim-of-convenience likes this
- divingfrair likes this
- chimericalgirl likes this
- midnightvalkyrie likes this
- jayarrarr likes this
- submarinedreams likes this
- goddamninsomnia likes this
- ordinarywonder posted this